Wednesday, January 13, 2010

If you give El Belle a Chocolate Chip Banana Cauliflower Muffin. . . . .

This muffin holds a secret that was NEVER EVER suppose to be revealed!





Meet my niece, El Belle.  She is a "junk food" eater.





The "Bah Humbug" hat says it all about her displeasure of healthy fare.  If it is a vegetable, she won't eat it.  If it is a wholesome dinner being served, she backs slowly away from the table.  If it is filled with fiber, she gags.  AND so on. . . .  .

Meet my baby sister (she is the one in the middle between my parents.)



Suzanne is on a mission for 2010 for her four children.  The mission is simple, less junk and more nourishing "good" for you cuisine.  This is where I come in.  I am the baker.  I am the one bringing all the treats. This is where the muffin story starts.  





This muffin held a secret in the form of cauliflower.  Yelp, cauliflower.  It was a strongly guarded secret until I told my sister. 

You see, Ellie had eaten several of my muffins and "loved" them.  She ate them for breakfast.  She nibbled on them for a snack.  They were packed in her lunch box.  Over a day's time, there were just a few left.

The other night  Ellie had declared my sister's dinner inedible! 

"Mom, can I please have one of Aunt Gin's muffins instead?" Ellie asked my sister.

"Sure, why not.  They are packed full of cauliflower," my sister mumbled.

"YUCK!"  Ellie yelled and vowed never to touch another Chocolate Chip Banana Cauliflower Muffin to her lips. 

Now, the remaining muffins sit on a plate getting more stale as the time goes by.

Gin's Chocolate Chip Banana Cauliflower Muffins

2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups steamed fresh cauliflower, mashed

Directions
(1)  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line twelve standard muffin cups.  (2)  In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking soda.  Stir in the sugar and 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.  (3)  In a mixing bowl stir together the eggs, milk, melted butter, mashed bananas and cauliflower.  All to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened.  (4)  Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them 2/3 full.  Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top of the muffins.  (5)  Bake approximately  15-20 minutes.  Cool 5 minutes and remove from pan.  (6) ENJOY!  

This is an easy five-star muffin recipe that is moist and sumptuous.  The crowning touch of the muffins are the chocolate chips that rest lazily in top.   You will definitely be asked for seconds, if you can keep the secret!

Can somebody please tell me if this means spring is coming?




Have a wonderful day and a great week!!

14 comments:

  1. LOL about the niece... had a similar experience when a waiter told my son about calamari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I have never baked with cauliflower. How cool! I've gotta try this.

    Sadly, I think that spring is a long way off...at least in my neck of the woods. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I love this post! That is my little sister, no vegetable in her house, maybe some green beans from a can now and then, but the sweets, OH MY, the sweets fall out of her cabinets.

    She would love this muffin, but I would have to pry it from her hands for a taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH WOW that looks awesome and I love that it has cauliflower in it. I bet that helps it stay moist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Stealing this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally going to make these for my kids! I love sneaking veggies in where they least expect it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, cauliflower in a CC muffin; seems wrong somehow (LOL) but so right!! Will your niece ever trust you again (smiles).

    Look at that sweet fluffy little bird trying to insulate himself from the cold. Doesn't he know it's too cold here! I hope that means that spring is coming SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is so funny. What a great way to sneak the much needed veggies in the kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How funny! They look really good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lmaoooo! Ginger that's too funny. The kid liked them before she knew. That just tells me never to tell a kid what they're really eating.

    I want to try these! I want to see what everyone does when I tell them what's in them.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh! What a great idea to sneak in veggies! They look moist and delicious. I know my kids would eat them too as long as they didn't know the secret ingredient.

    ReplyDelete